This course is an introduction to the exciting world of working with children to enable you to understand whether this is the right career choice for you. As well as learning about working with children you will be placed with an employer to gain valuable work experience. You will be provided with all the support you need to find a suitable job working with children.
Teaching Assistant – Role Profile
Teaching Assistants work in Primary, Special and Secondary education across all age ranges encompassing special educational needs and emotional vulnerabilities. The primary role of the Teaching Assistant is to support the class teacher to enhance pupils’ learning either in groups or individually, ensuring pupils understand the work set, know their learning objectives and stay on task in order to make progress. Promoting self-belief, social inclusion and a high self-esteem play an integral part to pupils’ well-being; ensuring pupils thrive in a positive, nurturing, safe environment. It is an active role supporting the learner to access the curriculum. They are good role models, act with honesty and integrity, take part in team meetings; contribute to planning and class activities. Promoting Fundamental British Values through spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and positive behaviours are crucial in contributing to improved pupil progress and development.(Institute for Apprentices & Technical Education)
1. Introduction to working with children
o Safeguarding Children
o Health & Safety
o EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage)
o Paediatric First Aid qualification
o Food Hygiene qualification
o British Values & the Prevent duty
2. Course Structure – Level 1
o 6 weeks studying for Caring For Children
o Studying for Work Skills
o Practice and attempt for Functional Skills – Maths and English
o 4 weeks of studying your chosen pathway:
a) Early Years b) Childminder Educator c) School
3. Work placement
A minimum of 70hrs in a nursery, school or with a childminder. We will complete your DBS check, we will not place you in a childcare setting without this.
4. Maths and English
For all those below level 2
5. Preparation for employment including:
o how to increase your chances of getting work
o how to conduct yourself in the workplace
o knowing your rights & responsibilities as an apprentice
Is this course right for you
This course is designed for a wide range of staff from those newly appointed to those with manyyears’ experience. The course will be tailored to individual needs and will build on your existing experience and knowledge. We will not teach you what you already know rather we will fill in the gaps and introduce you to know concepts to enable you to reach your full potential in your role.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
The course is delivered through a blended model which means a mix of:
- Classroom delivery (both face to face and online classrooms)
- Observations of you practice in your school by your assessor
- Mentoring support from your class teacher and other staff
- 1-2-1 support from your class tutor
- Self study to complete assignments set by your tutor
- Your employer must allocate 20% of the total time you are employed to enable you to progress your apprenticeship training. This will be supervised and monitored by your tutor.
Funding eligibility and entry requirements
- Must be employed in a school
- You must be aged 16 or over, there is no upper age limit.
- British citizen or resident in the UK for at least 3yrs with the right to work
- No formal qualifications are required to start this course
- Must achieve an initial assessment pass in match at Entry Level 3 and English at Level 1
- All course work and practical observations as set by your tutor must be completed
- To complete you will need to pass an external “end point assessment”
- Apprentices without English at level 2 and Maths at Level 1 at the start of the programme must achieve these prior to taking the End Point Assessment. These qualifications will be delivered as part of your apprenticeship programme if required.
- Your course will be graded pass, merit or distinction
- You will be awarded a certificate of completion by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Qualifications.